Baclofen vs. Phenibut
There’s no real point to this post other than to tick a box.
While buying some modafinil from my usual vendor a few weeks ago, I noticed that they also sold baclofen at a very reasonable price (£13 for 100 x 10mg). I knew baclofen had the same mechanism of action as phenibut and wanted to see how it compared.
Both baclofen and phenibut are agonists at the GABA-B receptor. At high doses of phenibut (in other words: at normal doses of phenibut) some agonism of GABA-A also occurs, which is the benzodiazepine receptor, giving phenibut a slightly more somnolent effect. This effect however is negligible in my experience.
The main benefit of baclofen is the tiny dose required. I took 2 x 10mg pills as a test dose, not realizing how strong they would be. I was also on my standard winter dose of 100mg modafinil at the time, and I’ve known from past experiences with phenibut that modafinil plus GABA-B agonists gives quite a spectacular mental state — kind of like being in a lucid dream. Well, when I came up from this test dose, I was one of the most highs I’ve ever been. I was on the way to the shops at the time, and felt like I was literally floating down the street. I felt like I could pass through objects if I wanted, but luckily I was not quite stoned enough to try.
I would say 2 x 10mg baclofen is equivalent to about 4g phenibut. Considering what a pain phenibut is to measure out into capsules, and that it tastes absolutely awful if you’re not using capsules, baclofen is a hell of a lot more convenient. I would say 1 x 10mg pill would be enough for anyone’s night out. Alcohol has the effect of setting off baclofen hardcore, and all the phenibut considerations still apply.
I would say baclofen’s initial glow lasts longer than phenibut. There is also less of a “come-down glow” from baclofen. On phenibut, I enter a more stimulated yet highly dreamy and visual state during the come-down. I would not even call it a come-down — phenibut instead just seems to have two distinct phases, in my experience, and I often prefer the second phase, during which I can create intense visuals in my mind to the extent that they almost seem real. I have composed some great music while in this state, as scenes in my mind automatically get “soundtracked”. Baclofen however seems to tail off less dramatically without this pronounced second phase.
I will jump in here and point out that only around 20% of people are “responders” to phenibut, meaning they get these kinds of magical experiences from it. The other 80% perceive phenibut more like a typical benzo, or don’t get much from it at all. It would be interesting to see whether the 20% responders are also the same 20% of people who show strong Neanderthal traits. I like putting data together like that, and it often yields interesting results. I think phenibut non-responders also probably won’t get much from baclofen.
So, that is the rough comparison between baclofen and phenibut.
On a side note, since I don’t use phenibut in the day any more, or even much on nights out, since I still had so much lying around I decided to try it for one of its actual marketed purposes: as a sleep aid. I took 3 x size 00 capsules, which is about 1.2g. Man, this stuff knocks you out. I slept straight through 8 hours without even waking up for a toilet break, which I usually do a couple of times a night. I also felt extremely refreshed and happy in the morning. The sleep was largely dreamless, except for a couple of sex dreams which I attribute to phenibut’s indirect boosting of dopamine, and of which I can’t complain. 🙂 Sex dreams repeated consistently on successive experiments. I tried phenibut again the night after the first test and woke up feeling slightly hungover with a light whining noise in my head, which cleared up within an hour or two of getting up. My advice is therefore to use phenibut just once or twice a week, with days in between, and only when you want a particularly deep sleep for whatever reason.