Some psychosis cases an ‘immune disorder’ (BBC News)
Some patients sectioned with psychotic conditions, such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, may actually have a treatable immune disorder, say Oxford University scientists.
A study in the Lancet Psychiatry suggests up to one in 11 cases of psychosis may involve antibodies attacking parts of the brain.
I am now going to make a prediction:
Within the next ten years, scientists will conclude that ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of mental illness is caused by inflammation responses similar to those reported in the above link.
Furthermore, the cause of ~98% of those cases will be agriculture. The other ~2% will be some other environmental toxin, for example the fluoride they put in the water, or a response to injury.
They will discover that:
- If white people eat only what was available in a frozen ice age environment, i.e. meat and root vegetables
- If black people eat only what was available in tropical Africa, i.e. fruit and meat
- If East Asian people eat only rice and fish
…then no one will have mental illness any more.
Of course, by this point agriculture is required to support such large populations. The solution will therefore have to be something like genetically engineering crops to remove the factors that cause the immune response, or to create a medical intervention to prevent the immune response following eating such crops.
The crux of the mental health issue is that body and mind are not separate and never have been. Mental illness is of the body first and foremost (with some feedback loops occurring psychologically, but which are easily dismissed once body homeostasis is restored). But since the symptoms are mainly “psychological” — e.g. hallucinations, fear responses — then scientists have been looking for a psychological description of the problem.
This is a bit like a person arriving at an ER with a stab wound which no one can see. The patient is clearly distressed and they are in shock, fight-or-flight, etc. But because the doctors cannot see the stab wound they assume something is wrong in the patient’s head, and section him instead.
It has mainly been due to my fucking around with drugs that I noticed the “poison” response is identical to many of the symptoms of mental illness (and I believe it is this bodily response which causes many of the psychological effects of various drugs). So I have been pushing the idea that mental illness is primarily a toxic/inflammation response for the last couple of years, mostly in the comments section of this blog. Good to see the medical community is catching up. 🙂