This post should be considered one of the most important developments I've ever made. It is a "Holy Grail" method that will change your life.
This method allows you to clear your mind of thoughts (both verbal thoughts and imagery) instantly, and to be able to hold that state indefinitely. Pay strict attention.
EDIT: More background, plus a detailed description of the REM pulse, can be found here: http://www.personalpowermeditation.com/forum/meditation/how-i-cultivated-the-mind-clearing-technique/THE METHOD
1. Focus on what it is you are doing. If you are walking down the street, look towards where you are going. If you are talking to someone, look at them. If you are doing an activity, look at what it is you are doing.
2. When you sense a thought arising, send your eyes an REM (rapid eye movement) pulse.
3. Return your attention to what you are doing immediately. Send further REM pulses when you sense distraction occurring again.
To send your eyes an REM pulse, first practise entering REM voluntarily. We can all do this. You just look slightly upwards and allow your eyes to start vibrating. The muscles used during sleep can be activated any time. When using the pulse to clear thoughts, the pulse should literally be a single pulse, lasting for a microsecond. Blinking whilst doing it seems to make it more effective and coordinated.
-----------------------------------------------WHY IT WORKS
A "thought", whether visual or auditory, can only take place via eye access cues (which we know about from the NLP metamodel). Look here for more information: http://www.nlp-practitioners.com/interactive/nlp-eye-access-cues-game.php
So there are two types of thought:
, whereby you automatically pull out previous patterns from memory to compare the current situation to. This is the original source of anxiety. E.g. you enter a situation with some certain characteristics, and your mind automatically pattern-matches that situation against your memory record to find out "what happened last time", and to then send you pain signals if it was bad. So if you see a crowd and you don't like crowds, they may, for a microsecond, be transformed into a threatening crowd image. Or you might have some auditory thoughts telling you "I don't like this", or similar. I talked about this in depth in my book The End of Social Anxiety
. It usually happens so fast people aren't aware of it, and the book provides meditations to become aware of this happening.
. This is where your creative capacity automatically engages to extrapolate a current situation into a predicted future scenario in order to try and predict what will happen next, based on past experiences. This is where you find yourself making doomsday scenarios, or where you stay angry at someone for hours, creating scenarios where you "make them pay", or otherwise fantasize about things.
BOTH of these processes require specific eye access cues. BOTH these processes are scrambled and stopped via an REM pulse.
The REM pulse's sole purpose is to scramble these automatic recall and creation processes before they have a chance to occur fully and alter your emotional state in undesired ways.WHAT THIS WILL AND WON'T ACHIEVEWhat it can do
- Stop negative thoughts before they have a chance to happen.
- Interrupt thought chains already in progress.
- Refocus your awareness on the present (as long as you turn your attention straight back to the present).
- If you use the pulse once, you can interrupt a thought before it happens, or stop a thought chain. It won't wipe your memory. However, if you issue several pulses, you can actually wipe your short-term, working memory of what it is you were doing. E.g. if you were having a conversation, you can actually wipe the conversation out of memory if you "pulse" several times. At this point you will have to go back into long-term memory to backtrack to find out what you were talking about. This memory wipe feature should only be used in the rare occasion where you really do want to forget the contents of the conversation. E.g. if you have an argument with someone and it is settled to your satisfaction, and you want to wipe the contents of the argument from your working memory so it is no longer continuing in your own head and perpetuating your anger, you can use several pulses to wipe the working memory of the argument. In my experience, the content does remain in long-term memory if you ever do want to recall it.
- Allows you to record new experiences without old memories or negative thoughts interfering. So if you are practising socializing for example, you get lots of raw new experiences without your memory attempting to fit the interaction into any preconceived models. The scope for learning new things should therefore be obvious.
- Allows spontaneous, "natural" behaviours, IF they are allowed to happen. It is only your thoughts suppressing such behaviours. Remove the thoughts, and let the behaviours happen. When you have more thoughts trying to stop you, remove them with the same technique. This requires FAITH in your own abilities to actually behave appropriately on a natural, instinctive basis. See "Useful Knowledge to Have Beforehand" later in this post for more information.What it won't do
- This will not fix an existing bad mood and instantly make you feel good. HOWEVER, it will stop the thought processes which are contributing to or creating that bad mood. What happens is, when you have stopped hurting yourself via negative thoughts, your mood automatically stabilizes to a comfortable and enjoyable "baseline state".
- This will not give you godlike social or cognitive powers. It is just stopping negative thoughts. HOWEVER, stopping the negative thoughts gives you room to actually just perform naturally and gain skills and momentum in that situation. So by wiping away interfering thoughts, you become free to act naturally in the moment. And the accumulation of many new experiences, in any field, WILL increase your abilities in those fields considerably, especially over time.
- This will not necessarily give you a permanent clear mind after one pulse. Other thoughts may well arise immediately after. HOWEVER, by pulsing away those negative thoughts too and consistently returning your attention to the present, after a short while, you WILL get "locked in" to the present moment. The other bonus is that, with practice, a single pulse can give you longer and longer moments of thought-free clarity. Practice is therefore essential.BACKGROUND
I had been able to be "present" for extended periods, without interfering thoughts, for a few years now. However, consistency was a problem. I never really isolated what it was I was doing to be able to enter present moment awareness and remain there. So it was luck of the draw whether I would have this state or not. I realized recently however that the above method was the "missing piece of the puzzle": every experience of present moment awareness was linked to this wilful wiping of distracting thoughts and the returning of my attention to the present.
I had learned some tricks with the eye access cues many years ago, which I covered in a rather haphazard fashion in this old post under my mASF name Corvette: http://www.fastseduction.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=retrieve&grp=6&mn=1241945484555814
However, I did not realize that the "spinning" I spoke of mainly worked via eye access cue interruption. Imagining things "spinning" or "raking" through my head actually required the eyes to mimic that motion, which I now realize was interrupting eye access cues pertaining to distracting thoughts. The spinning method in that post also had some bizarre effects concerning neurotransmitter release. The "tidied up" version of the mind clearing method in this current post however does not have the same weird neurotransmitter dumps. It allows you to retain a clean state.
I returned to the idea of instant mind clearing following my week spent with meditation expert Aaron Sleazy, whose own experience with mind clearing was documented in the following interview: http://www.personalpowermeditation.com/forum/interviews/interview-with-aaron-sleazy/
When I watched Sleazy doing the technique in real life, I noticed it definitely involved his eyes -- he would blink when doing it, and I noticed some movement of his eyes in the microseconds before and after the blink. I do not know if he is doing the technique the way I described in this post or not. I hope he adds his thoughts to this thread.
Now I believe there are two main methods of mind clearing:
1) Long-term, via regular meditation practice. I believe a clear mind can be cultivated over time through sitting in meditation with a clear mind, and that this state can become more and more your "default" state.
2) Conscious mind-clearing, as per this post.
I believe Sleazy learned to do it the same way I learned to do it:
- Knowing, via meditative states, what a clear mind looks like.
- Finding, perhaps by accident as in my case, a conscious way to activate that state at will.USEFUL KNOWLEDGE TO HAVE BEFOREHAND
Firstly, I understand if people take this away and try it and say "It did not clear my mind". That is because those people do not have the knowledge of what a clear mind looks like. That is where meditative practice comes in: self-knowledge and education of what a clear mind looks like. Else you will just start thinking again immediately, and not "spot" the moment where you had no thoughts. That is a common error amongst beginners: not identifying when they actually have NO THOUGHTS. You must also know how to spot the physiological signs of a thought about to rise in order to nip them in the bud quickly using this technique.
This no-thought concept is particularly difficult to grasp for the intellectually-inclined, i.e. those who apply their intellect (thoughts) as their default way of navigating through life, which will be most of us here on this board. This is because thought is so common place, that it is difficult to separate your non-thought experience from your thoughts. This ties into the next issue:
You have to have faith in your natural, non-intellectual behaviours. You develop this faith through acting without thought at several times in your life. Anyone who has taken very powerful drugs such as MDMA will a) Have operated without thought for extended periods, especially during their first trip and b) Therefore have some knowledge that behaviour without thought is not only possible, but is often far more powerful and effective.
To put this into context for non-drug users, or just to give a different example, consider your mental state while doing some sport or other activity you are passionate about and requires your full attention. A Premiership footballer is not "thinking" whilst dribbling the ball and lining up the goal for his shot. He is not worrying about whether the crowd thinks he is "elegant" or not. If he did think of such things, he would almost certainly miss. So we are talking about "flow" here. The only thing preventing you having "flow" in all areas of your life
. So consider this mind-clearing technique to be your gateway to FLOW in all situations.
Flow is the essence of life. It is where all natural joy comes from. It is obtained by diligently returning your attention to what it is you are doing, and ignoring distracting thoughts. This mind-clearing technique is your gateway to consistently wiping away and preventing thoughts, in order that you obtain flow far quicker than you otherwise would.
Mind-clearing will seem subtle at first. I think many of us have this idea of meditation as instantly giving superpowers when "done right". That is not the case. Operating without thought is just that -- operating without thought. Walking down the street without thought. Talking to people without thought. It does not mean you are transformed into something magical -- it just means you are inclined toward natural behaviours without distraction. It represents freedom, and no longer being a slave to an overactive projecting mind. It means you can do what you want and get the experiences you need to become the person you want to be, without the chains of the mind holding you back.
I consider learning this method "the day the world changed". Knowing I can free myself from thought whenever I want is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced.
One advantage that has occurred immediately is that I can now fall asleep immediately with my girlfriend in the bed. In the past, I could not sleep properly at all with somebody in the bed. That has now ended, and I am having the best sleep of my life, just stepping straight into sleep using this method.PRACTICE
You should integrate this method with your meditation to turbo-charge your meditation progress and reinforce your ability to clear your mind powerful at will.
Sit in your usual way and retain the clear mind for 30 minutes. Wipe distracting thoughts as they arise using the pulse. Practice massively reinforces your ability to clear your mind in this way, as more synapses are laid down in your brain dedicated to the method. I have already experienced a tenfold increase in my ability to do the technique just through simple practice.